CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 19, 2008

The journey to the States



So the journey begins eh!!! Lets see....June 27 was my consultation in Ypsilanti MI at the Forest Health Medical Center(Barix Clinic). The Doctor that I would be seeing was Dr. Schram. I was reading about him on the website and kinda new a little about him which was nice. We, my boyfriend and I got there about 12:50pm and the consult started at 2pm I believe. So I had to fill out some stuff and my name was called to go in and sit with nurse to answer soem questions and get weighed and my height etc. She was very nice and polite. Then back into the waiting room until everyone was finished. The chairs let me tell yeah AWESOME, nothing was hanging out the sides(LOL) and I didnt feel squished at all. Thats the one thing that got me hooked....they didnt make you feel you were fat. I was so comfortable there.

Well finally we all got called into a room where we all met Dr.Schram. He told us about the pros and cons of RNY(Gastric). He explained how he performs the surgery and what happens after the surgery. What you need to do when you get home, ie. get OHIP approval, letter from the doc., if you have to have any tests done prior to surgery(I was lucky he told me I didnt need any tests done)etc. After the group consult you got to meet with him on a one to one basis. He was amazing. I asked him why he got into bariatic surgery, his answer was so sincere...he told me its like trying to cure cancer. He said if he has the chance to save someones life he will. That is why he chose Bariatics. That just floored me, not the way you might be thinking, they way that he would put so much heart into helping someone he doesnt even know. I think my b/f and I were in there for about 1/2hr and learned so much more than what I already knew!

So after that I got home call my doctor and made an apppointment to see him and get all the paper work together to get faxed to OHIP. That was July 3. So a couple weeks went by and I heard nothing, so I decided to call OHIP.They told me that they faxed back that they needed more info, well I didnt know of this and nobody informed me. So I called the clinic...SORRY the doc has been on holidays and then the nurse was on holidays etc.....blah blah blah. I was so mad. But then after another week goes by the office finally calls me to get me in to see the doc and finish what was needed. Aug 5 the rest of the info got sent and by Aug 12 I was approved. YEAH. Seemed like such a long wait but in all honesty it was fairly quick. Some people wait a couple months before they hear anything. So I then get a call from the Barix Clinic to set up my surgery date and PATs testing(its Pre-admission Testing). So PATs is set for Oct.20 and the surgery is Nov.3. All before Christmas which I wanted.

So that is basically it. Nothing too rocky or shaky, pretty straight forwards.

I have met lots of very kind people on Obesityhelp and are just fabulous. They are like family!

0 comments: